About Quality Enhancement Cell
The Quality Enhancement Cell has been established at UET Taxila, Feb 2011. It is entrusted with the task to promote education for effective management of standard of and quality of programmes at all levels. It requires developing quality assurance processes and methods of evaluations that the quality of provision and standards of UET education are well maintained and improved. It includes curriculum development, subject and staff development together with research and other activities. Further, the academic activities of the UET will be monitored by quality assurance agency (QAA), HEC through Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC).
It is observed that almost all the national universities, have similar scheme of studies for respective degree programs with minor variations, thanks to the information sharing in the age of IT. But the quality of outgoing graduates from these universities is conspicuously variant. We need to accept, that most of the universities here do not meet the international quality criteria. It is this dismal state of affairs, where most of our efforts needs to be focused. This is the only way to achieve value addition, international competitiveness and consequently, socio-economic up gradation. Seemingly, this idea became the founding stone of the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), formed by the HEC. It has evolved well organized policies with quantifiable parameters of quality, required to enhance the educational standards in Higher Education. QAA is leading this movement for assuring and enhancing Quality of Higher Education in the country.r framing requisite policies and programs. Establishment of QEC’s at all public Universities and Higher Education Institutions, is part of this process. QEC’s at the Universities will be headed by professionals, equivalent to the status of a Dean, and will be directly responsible to the Vice-Chancellor. In phase IV of this project, a QEC has also been established at UET in Feb 2011.
Functions of QEC
- QEC is responsible for promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of UET degrees are enhanced and safeguarded.
- QEC is responsible for the review of quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area area.
- QEC is responsible for the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of programs.
- QEC is responsible for defining clear and explicit standards as points of reference to the reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates. out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of a qualification i.e. Bachelors, Bachelor with Honors, Master’s, and Doctoral.
- QEC is responsible to develop program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successflly completing a specific program.
- QEC is responsible to develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
- QEC is responsible to ensure that the university’s quality assurance procedures are designed to fit in with the arrangements in place nationally for maintaining and improving the quality of Higher Education.
- Coordination with Quality Assurance Agency of HEC for guidance and help on all matters related to Quality Assurance.
- Capacity building of its team through HEC training programs.
- QEC is responsible to develop procedures for the following:
- Approval of new programs
- Annual monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, faculty monitoring, and student’s perception.
- Departmental review
- Student feedback
- Employer feedback
- Quality assurance of Master’s M. Phil. And Ph. D. degree programs
- Subject review
- Institutional assessment
- Program specifications
- Qualification framework